Sunday 2 October 2011

Location Research - Random Pretty Cities

As the title suggests, this is a collection of images I found that I quite liked the look of. At the moment we haven't quite decided how we want the whole set to look; whether we want the buildings to be quite uniform and matching, or if we'd like to have quite a quirky looking square with lots of different looking buildings.

I'm inclined to think we'll be going for a happy balance. If all the buildings look the same then the whole scene will lose character and seem boring. If we make the set completely miss-matched and quirky it will just look silly. 

A happy medium will be something along the lines of having the buildings quite similar in design but different in colours, or have different decorations / brickwork / roofing etc. The actual objects in the square will also make the place seem much more 'lived in'.


This is what I would call a quirky looking street. It's located in Copenhagen, and though I think it's a very interesting looking street. I think the different bold colours look quite jarring. If they were pastel shades (less saturated) it wouldn't look nearly as jarring, if at all.


Another image of Copenhagen, Rob pointed this one out to me and we both agree that this is pretty close to how we imagined our set would look, certainly parts of at least. I like the flatness and the width of the bridge. I also like the street lamps on the corners of the bridge too.


This is an image from Moscow, it stood out to me because it just shows how diverse you can be with placement of objects. Unexpected objects like this I think add so much character to a place!


A fairly grainy image of a square called 'Piazza il Campo' in Sienna. I'll come back to this in another post, as the square is actually very very close to what we have pictured... Minus the canal.


A square in Tallinn, Estonia (West of Russia, below Finland). This is a great example of how different design and colours can give a place character. I love the multi-coloured cobbles, though I doubt it will fit in with our set, which is going to be quite European looking (North Eastern countries have a unique style quite different to the cities / towns of Europe). Though who knows... Nothing is set in stone yet!

Man I'm hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment