Sunday 2 October 2011

Location Research - Venice

Although there was a lot of good stuff from Prague, where I'm sure we'll be taking a lot of references, I would like the set to have a more eclectic design than just mimicking and tweaking a single city.

This time I'm looking at Venice, Italy. You can't think of a city with canals running through it without thinking of Venice!


A beautiful bridge, this kind of image is exactly what I imagine when I think of Venice.


Another stereotypical Venetian bridge here. The problem with Venice for our referencing is the lack of open squares. Most of the images are like these (tall building directly either side of the canals). Of course we can still use references for the bridge itself.


I particularly like this bridge. Though I don't think a solid wall will work as well for our bridge, it could hide too much of what is happening on the bridge.


This bridge, is of a similar shape, but this time with a thin railing, which I do really like the look of.



This is a very similar bridge, this time incorporating small stone columns breaking up the railing, which makes it look more traditional. I could certainly see us using a bridge like this.


One thing I am noticing looking at so many bridges like this is that without reference I have actually been sketching bridges all wrong; the arc under the bridge almost always begins and ends in the water, where as I have been drawing them so that the arc ends well onto either side of land.


I definitely like the look of the final image though. I'll see how it looks sketched up I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment