Tuesday 17 January 2012

Pretty pretty textures! - 17.01.12

Today has been a relatively productive day. All of the character turnarounds are now finished and ready for modelling, which I myself am going to have a go at (just for funsies), I imagine Rob will have to re-do anything I do, but practice is practice! At least while I wait for the unwraps to start texturing.

Also on another note, Rob has now finished the modelling for the set and is in the process of unwrapping stuff for texturing... Should be a busy few days, but it'll be well worth all the effort!

Anyway, since I'm going to be spending some time on the texture end of things I thought it best to look at a few resources about what to expect, especially for the 3D side of the scene (it's pretty easy going on the 2D side texture-wise).

Found an awesome hard-surface texture tutorial that was really really helpful:


Awesome, awesome tutorial! 

Talking with Rob earlier today he mentioned that he'd like the set to resemble he stuff used in The Incredibles and other Pixar films. So trying to have a look around at how we might realistically achieve an effect similar to theirs...

I must admit a lot of the render talk goes completely over my head, personally I have no idea why people decided to start using such ridiculously complex terms to describe things, all it does is completely alienate people who don't have a CG talk dictionary at hand or a couple of years experience under their belt... Anyway as I was saying, it goes completely over my head, Pixar use a lot of very complex shaders to achieve their final finished images. Shaders that we don't have access to (why would Pixar give away what gives them their edge), nor can we recreate them.

The best we can do with the textures is make the best painted textures we can do, and put some time into setting up the light to look just right, maybe throw in a couple of bump maps for good measure... But Rob is the CG expert, so we'll have to wait and see what he thinks!

Here is one of the pages I read about the texturing involved in the Pixar film Ratatouille, though that is perhaps one of the most texture and shader heavy films they've done, simply because of the scale of the main character meaning there's lots of surface close-ups and the focus being on food, which in their own words people are already familiar with how food should look:


No comments:

Post a Comment