Thursday 18 August 2011

Alien Kid Front Reference

Oh my goodness! 2 posts in one day! You can tell that the deadline is looming... I had intended to do a full turnaround on this page, but I wanted to get some more practice using my new colouring technique. Yet again there have been tweaks to the process: 

This time instead of colouring onto a multiply layer, I coloured onto a normal layer, underneath the line layer, and shaded AFTER that on  multiply layer. This made it much easier to reliably get the colours right, regardless of the grey background I use, which darkens the colours if you're using a multiply layer.

The reason I use a grey background is three-fold; firstly, I find that a bright white screen gives me an ENORMOUS headache after a few hours intensive staring (drawing). Secondly, the brightness fools your eyes, colours are much more difficult to pick accurately (that part is mentioned a lot if you look for photoshop tips). Lastly, particularly on the shading stage, I find that having an overall neutral looking (dull) page helps get a much better sense of direction for the lighting. 




I still can't decide if I prefer to shade first and colour after, or colour first and shade after... Colouring first is a technique often used by anime artists, it seems to simplify the process, which can only be a good thing, and the finished look is for all intents and purposes exactly the same.

The lil' dude in the bottom left is my signature by the way, I was debating whether to put him on, but I think it's quirkier than just poking an "MF" on every piece.


I should have a proper turnaround finished tonight, but I'll upload it tomorrow, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing!


Mat out! *resists urge to put smiley face emoticon*

1 comment: