Friday 12 August 2011

Guards! Guards!

Afternoon all!

A fairly productive day today, got a full beginning middle and end for my guardsman idea, so that's 2 of 3 3 minute ideas all done and dusted, apart from concepts, sketches, research and a presentation... Ok so I have a lot of work to do!


In other news I'm suffering from a pretty nasty cold at the moment, it's one of those colds that's bad enough to be a huge drain and an all-round inconvenience, but not bad enough for me to think that it's flu. All the flu symptoms are there... But I'm getting on with my day, so it must not be flu! The start of the uni year is fast approaching however, having some semblance of a deadline is a huge motivator and my work-rate has noticeably increased at last! (2 blogs in 2 days! I know right?!)

Anyway, the reason for this blog is to show the basic concept sketches I did today for my guards idea, so here they are:


 


I already love this new brush! The first image I was trying to get some ideas visualized, it probably makes a lot more sense to me... But hopefully I'll be able to sketch up a finished looking example frame to get an idea of what I actually intend it to look like. The second image is a character conceptual page, I really had no idea how I wanted the guard character to look, he needs to look slightly pathetic, but not totally unlovable.


I found that a great way to get some quick ideas for characters is to very very quickly draw silhouette character thumbnails, the actual silhouette of a character has a huge effect on the appearance, certainly the immediate impression the character gives, so it's a great great great starting point for character design. Plus, the character in this film is (at least at the moment) going to be shown entirely as a silhouette anyway!

I'm really not sure if I should publish my actual idea on the blog, so until I've discussed it in detail with Rob and Jud, I'll just stick to uploading the research and design side of things, not the story side (sorry).


Extra kudos to you if you got the Terry Pratchett reference in the title!

Matty out!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you've had a productive day, mine has been dismal. I feel I'm seriously struggling for time now :/

    Guard idea sounds good however...what I can grasp...I like the silhouetting idea, any chance of you emailing me the rough story outline??

    Oh and 3 and a half lines on your damn cold symptoms? Really? :P

    ReplyDelete