Thursday 18 August 2011

The Alien Revisited!

Hello all! I'm pleased to be having a fairly productive day here, getting a lot of ideas much better formed ideas now (about time I know).


Got some good feedback about the previous alien character I uploaded, but thinking about it, that alien looked much much too old to be the character in my 3 minute, which is supposed to be an alien child. So I had another sketch, which turned out quite well, I decided to give it a proper work up, though a quick one this time. I also thought it would be a good idea to show my process, even though it is constantly changing as I learn more...




As you can see, I started out with a portrait to get an idea of character. I do this occasionally when I don't have a specific pose in mind.


The process is basically a case of building on layer after layer. I still had a LOT of polishing to do, but at the concept stage, anything over a certain quality is overkill... Especially if you don't go with that idea. This whole thing took me just over an hour, much quicker this time after my previous drawing, which was experimenting with a whole new technique. Very briefly I'll explain the process:


Portrait > Sketch body / pose > Decide lighting direction (multiply) > Tone shadows (multiply) > Block in colours (multiply) > Add lighting (normal) > Add Highlights (normal) > Background (preset template), gradient from bottom left, add more smoke effect to darken bottom left, add signatures > Done

Quite happy with how the character turned out, I like the innocence in the face and the proportions definitely are more child like. I'm not sure I'd like to go too exaggerated with proportion, at least not until I have a definite style in mind for the film.




Here is the final stage again, it's far from finished, I left a lot of my sketch lines in... I like how they look. For a fully finished image, I'd have to neaten the edges up, possibly ink in some lines...


My next order of business on this idea, will be to get a finished design for the human boy character, and turnarounds for each. I'll also need to spend a lot of time on set design... It's my weakest area drawing-wise at the moment.

See you the next time I see you! Matty out.

2 comments:

  1. You're right he does look a lot more innocent and child-like, I like the technique too. I read the other day that its good to layer things to get a more realistic style, the order was to get your line art done, duplicate the layer and fill with a low opacity grey, then develop the grey values for the shading and tonal range. Then take a new layer and fill the character with the desired colour/s and set it to overlay, pretty much the same way you did it :) jobs a goodun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I'm trying this with my next design coz I want a realistic style to it :p

    ReplyDelete