Sunday 21 August 2011

Guards Style Development!

Today seemed like a pretty good time to try and get some style development done on my guards idea, after the silhouette reference videos in my previous post (here).


Wow this blogspot composer does some STUPID STUFF! Need to find a decent blog writing program I think... 

I digress! Yes, I did a quick sketch for what I'm thinking for the guard idea, similar to the silhouette films, but reversed, so dark at the back, getting lighter coming forward, to the characters, which will be brightest.




I like this is a starting point... I think all of the layers are going to need to be dulled down, so that the characters stand out more. I'd also like to try with some high contract shadows. 


I'm also going to have to figure out how to articulate the characters in silhouette form, it should be relatively simple to create the silhouette characters in Flash. For the background though, I'd like to have the layers move slightly less, the further back they are (if there's any camera movement at all)... We shall see.


Here it is with some high contrast shadows added, again very quickly and roughly. I do like the way this looks, it definitely gives the image a more finished look, and it stops the background appearing too bright... They still may need dimming down though, we'll see after I've done the characters.

 Matty out!

1 comment:

  1. Style sounds good and more original in theory. I dunno how good the final turn out would look though, coz I feel like it may be a bit confusing or dull to look at, or maybe thats just me :p

    The reason think this is because with the standard silhouette you see more detail as you look back because the background is lighter, this helps to give depth to the image/animation. If you reverse that, the design would seem quite shallow to me and lacking in any detail...just my thoughts, but I wanna see you prove me wrong and see what you do with the characters!! :)

    ReplyDelete