Saturday 20 August 2011

Style Research: Silhouettes

Greetings all! I hope that you are enjoying the new look of the page! 


As I mentioned in a previous post (here) I don't want to show my guards idea as a typical animation. I'd like it to be quite visually unique, and if not totally unique at least distinctly different from the 'norm'.


Inspiration for the style came quite a while ago, while watching the film 'The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello', which was completely unique in it's appearance (at least to my knowledge).




Obviously the style is intended to be very dark and intimidating, which isn't what I want to do with my Guards film, but I would certainly like to create in a visually distinct way, using a similar 2D cut-out style. 


Today I also stumbled across another video in a very similar style, which I first thought was by the same people, but it's not. 




Again it uses a 2D cut-out silhouette style, this time it's slightly less intimidating, which is a move closer to the look I'm going for. I could definitely do something similar to this. 

The style in my head, is essentially this but reversed, using light characters, and the layers into the background get darker and darker. I'll have to do some experimental sketches to see if the style is even possible to visualize in a practical way, and if it is... How practical is it to animate in this style. Expect to see some style concepts in the coming days!

Matty out!

No comments:

Post a Comment