Sunday 14 August 2011

Alien Sketch Cleanup

I admit I got a little carried away last night and today!


Last night I spent a few hours, creating a bunch of backgrounds to import into all my concepts, I'm trying to get away from the plan white backgrounds... Though I'll probably still use fairly plain backgrounds for simple concept sketches.

After I'd created quite a few variations of backgrounds, in various colours. I started playing around with ideas for a more professional looking ratworks signature; the kind that you see on concept studio's. I notice that a lot of studios use the whole name in the signature, not just the logo, and often find a way of incorporating the logo into the name.


I had a play around with some fonts, and some layout ideas, the rat standing on the w in ratworks for example, in the end I found one that I really like... Though I know rob wasn't expecting any changes like this, but now at least we have a choice of which signature to use, I admit I do like the 'stamp' logo we already use, but for more finished looking work I think I'll use this one.

 I'm still working on a decent looking presentation for how I actually arrived at this, and I should have that uploaded in a few days!

In other news, today I decided to try my first finished drawing, and I must say I'm pleased with how he looks finished! I spent about 3-4 hours on this today, I got a little carried away experimenting with a new painting technique I decided to try out. Usually, I spend a long time 'inking' all of the lines in, for a cartoony look, then block in the colours, and then shade. On this I went straight from the sketch (exactly as I uploaded it the other day) to painting and shading straight ontop. The resulting .psd file had a LOT of layers, but I think the finished look is worth the effort (and trauma to my computer's memory). Here's the pic:


The blogspot resizing makes it look a little fuzzy, so please do fullview! The blobs in the top left are the colours I picked using colour theory, these are tertiary complimentary colours. I should really do a blog on the basics of Colour Theory, which I'm still very much in the process of learning.

Until next time! Matty out!

2 comments:

  1. Dude I love it all! :D new signature design rocks and I will definitely be using it on my work :) (already downloaded)...not sure about the 'bite' marks/cheese holes around the lettering tho.

    Alien design is soooo much more inspiring than the first generic sketch (I know it was only an idea) and I love the rendered finish with almost a grainy texture to the character, gonna have to teach me some photoshop skills :p

    Well done, I'm looking forward to seeing more ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and in terms of suggestions, his chest looks a little bare. Maybe if you add some small/thin detailing in that area it would pull the whole image together :) just on his upper chest area

    ReplyDelete